Our Goal Is To End Your Case

  1. Home
  2.  » 
  3. Family Law
  4.  » Parenting plans aren’t set in stone

Parenting plans aren’t set in stone

On Behalf of | Jun 28, 2022 | Family Law

Although you may not be in a relationship with your child’s other parent, California law says that you’re still responsible for raising your son or daughter. If appropriate, you will be given legal and physical custody rights to your child. However, it’s also possible that you will be given visitation rights instead. The exact terms of a custody or visitation agreement are typically decided through mediation or by a judge.

When should you revisit a parenting plan?

It may be a good idea to revisit a parenting plan as your child moves from one phase of his or her life to another. Generally speaking, what a child needs as a toddler is not what that minor needs as an older child or teen. It may also be a good idea to revisit a custody or visitation agreement if you want to relocate or if there is a change in your financial status.

How to change a parenting plan

Parents can generally make informal changes to a custody or visitation plan if they both agree to them. However, if you and your child’s other parent don’t agree on a specific change, it may be necessary to take the matter to court. A family law judge will then decide if a proposed change is in your child’s best interest, and if it is, formal edits will be made to the existing custody or visitation order.

Regardless of how you feel about your former partner, it’s critical that you take an active role in your child’s life. In addition to doing what’s right for your son or daughter, being in your child’s life may make it easier to obtain maximum parental rights to that minor.