Our Goal Is To End Your Case

  1. Home
  2.  » 
  3. Child Support
  4.  » What if your co-parent fails to make child support payments?

What if your co-parent fails to make child support payments?

On Behalf of | Sep 9, 2022 | Child Support

In California, child support payments are essential for separated parents to cover children’s ongoing expenses. If your co-parent falls behind on payments, it can put a strain on your finances. The good news is that there are certain steps you can take to ensure that you receive the child support payments you’re entitled to.

Try and communicate with your co-parent about the missed payments

It is possible that there was a misunderstanding? Is your co-parent is going through a tough financial situation? Their source of income, for instance, may have dried up suddenly. Having an open and honest route of communication can resolve the uncertainty of late payments.

Consider mediation

A mediator is a neutral third party who can facilitate discussion and can help you reach a resolution for your delinquent child support payments. During a mediation session, both sides will have a chance to explain their position and work towards an agreement. If you and your co-parent are unable to come to an agreement, the mediator can help you file a child support enforcement action. However, there must be a legal standing order in place before the child support enforcement action can get filed; remember that child support is considered a civil matter, not a criminal one.

Get a court order

If child support enforcement action is not successful, you can get the court to issue a child support order, which will require your co-parent to make regular payments. When a co-parent is held in contempt of court, that means that they can be fined, jailed or have their assets seized.

File a child support enforcement action

Enforcement actions are typically managed by child support enforcement agencies, which are run by state governments. The agency may then take steps to collect the overdue child support from your co-parent. the collection process can include wage garnishment, seizing assets or suspending their driver’s licenses.

It might be stressful to take action to guarantee that you get child support payments. It is vital to realize, however, that you are not alone. You can guarantee that you and your kid receive the help you are entitled to by recognizing your choices and taking action.